Friday, November 21, 2008

Not a morning person....


I like to share funny parenting stories every now and then. I figure if it's funny to me now, maybe someday my girls will also find them funny. =) Here is one of the latest starring Avrie.


Wednesday morning Avrie woke up on the wrong side of the bed. She did not want to get dressed, she wants to be naked. I let her be naked while I get the other girls ready for the day. The other two are now ready and it is now Avrie's turn to cooperate. I have to physically push each of her limbs into her clothing as she resists and screams. Finally dressed. The girls all have on their winter coats and hats and they pile into our nifty triple stroller and off we go to take Annaliese to school. Avrie cries the entire way there, no screams. We get looks from other mom-looking people we pass that seem to say, "I've been there, glad it's you and not me." We also get a few looks from some young professionals that seem to say "What is wrong with your child!?" or maybe "What is wrong with YOU, what did you do to that poor devastated child?" That 2 blocks we walk seem to take forever. Luckily we make it to school just as my friend Karyn was arriving with her little Alli. I pass Annaliese off to Karyn who takes her in to school for me and then just keep that stroller going right on back home. Avrie still screaming (I think I hear her say something about not wanting to get dressed). We get home. I get Avrie out of the stroller, she runs to the corner of the garage. I get Adeline out of the stroller and take her in to the house. 2 minutes later I go back out the garage to get Avrie....she's standing there, not crying. Good, she's chilled out. Wait, her shoes and socks are not on her feet, nor are her pants or diaper where they ought to be. Hat off too. She is tugging at that darn jacket that won't come off - the zipper is jammed. Folks, it's 40 degrees! =) I tried so hard not to laugh! I pick her up and bring her inside. I think she thought I was going to punish her. Instead I take her jacket off, take her shirt off and pull out the potty training seat.
The rest of the day went much better thankfully. She had her first day of potty training and a good long nap. Whew.

Kermit has been away this week as he is every fall for annual partner meetings abroad. I've gotten used to having him help me in the mornings to get Annaliese to school. I've been spoiled. At night he is usually home in time to help with the bedtime routine. This week not the case. Boy do I miss him more than ever! Clearly they do too.

Oh one more story from the week flying solo without Kermit. This one stars all three Annaliese, Adeline & Avire!

Thursday afternoon we are invited to a friends house for a play date. The friend lives just 2 blocks away. I figure stupidly that we can walk. Long story short...we stay too long and the twins are nap deprived and overtired. When it came time to leave....lets just say that walk home was torture not just on them, but the entire neighborhood. The twins were crying, "hold me mommy, hold me!" Not just whining, crying. Annaliese got upset that the twins were upset. All three were crying, sitting on the sidewalk not moving. What's a mom to do without her stroller?!!! I had about 3 people offer to help me. I declined but we finally made it. All three girls were in bed and asleep before 7! Whew. Moral of the story...go nowhere without a stroller. Also, don't stay out "late" with overtired kids. Note to self! =)

3 comments:

Erin said...

i just love both stories. I can just picture both to a tee. You are doing good girl.

Atkinsons said...

Loved the stories! Very funny! I know what you mean when you're used to having a couple extra husband hands to help and then not...and i only have one little girl!!!

Thank you SO SO much for the adorable outfit you sent! You didn't have to do that, but we appreciate it very much! Thanks again!!

Rose said...

Thanks for sharing...with 3 of my own liitle ones I can totally relate. "glad it was you, not me"