Sunday, October 5, 2008

"Woohoo! We getta go with Mommy and Daddy on date night!"

Avrie & Kermit


Huge Telescope


Addie & Kermit waiting for a turn.


Annaliese's turn


Addie's turn again.




A couple of weekends ago Kermit took us to the Dearborn Observatory in Evanston. Our girls love to learn about the different planets (especially Annaliese). This trip was a big hit. The telescope there is about 100 years old and very cool. We got to see Jupiter, also very cool. (Did you know that Jupiter has moons? It's true, we saw them.) I have a hard time comprehending how it is possible to look at a planet magnified so perfectly & so crystal clear. I'm sure that 100 years ago when this was cutting edge technology it must have been even more mind boggling. Well, it still is to me.


That night a photographer & reporter were there from the Associated Press. They were doing a story on light pollution. They took a TON of pictures of our family looking through the telescope. They asked Kermit some interesting questions and recorded his responses. They told us to google our names to see if the story gets picked up anywhere. If it does, I'll be sure to add the link.

Meanwhile...I love my space nerds!


5 comments:

Shannon said...

What a fun date night, and you might even become newspaper celebs huh? What a fun little memory for the girls if it does get printed somewhere.

Rose said...

Sounds ike a fun time!! Madilyn informed me the other day that Jupiter has 63 moons.....I didn't know that :)You have such a cute family.

The Texas Links said...

Awesome! My dad had a great telescope and would sit with me outside all night showing me different planets and constilations. What precious memories those are to me now. I'm sure they will be to your girls too.
Kermit's going to be the regular media hog in the family, huh? T.V., magazines...ask him when the movies coming out.

kir said...

Wow-you are a brave crew with the family date and you even invited the press to come along?? I love it!!
-Kir

Jeana said...

Oh What a fun date night. Your kids are so cute and smart.