Friday, June 20, 2008

Deception....Shhh....


So a few months ago I bought Jessica Seinfeld's new cookbook Deceptively Delicious after my sister in law, Shannon recommended it.

I was skeptical but desperate. My strong willed and picky eater Avrie does NOT eat fruit or veggies, period. Adeline eats all fruits, some veggies. Annaliese will eat some fruits, and a vegetable or two on occasion. It's pretty pathetic. What's a mom to do.

This book seemed to be a start in the right direction. So far we've tried both pancake recipes and love them both. I now sneak cauliflower into boxed mac n cheese. I've made the chickpea cookies...they were okay. I've tried the brownies...gross. I also tried the turkey burgers...not a huge hit. Banana Bread, I liked it but the kids wouldn't try it.

Today Annaliese asked for brownies, so I'm trying something new....The Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie mix, with 1/4 cup spinach puree (in Jessica's recipe you add a 1/2 cup, too much for our liking) and then 1/2 cup carrot puree. We'll see if this tastes any better. The batter was runny, so I added flour. This might be a disaster. How do you know unless you try. I'll know in a couple of hours.
BROWNIE RESULTS: So the brownies are now done. Not bad at all. Annaliese had about four. Unfortunately, Avrie and Addie wouldn't touch 'em. That left me with about 16+ to eat by myself (until Kermit gets home). The good thing is that they aren't so yummy that I devour the entire pan alone. I just ate 2 and was done.
It seems my twins only like the hidden veggies in their breakfast foods. Maybe I'll have to try finding my Grandma Bev's Zucchini Pancakes recipe! Jessica wasn't the first to come up with the idea of veggies in the pancakes!
Have any of you out there tried some of these recipes? Which ones do your kids like?

10 comments:

Steph said...

Ummmm LOVE this book! Pancakes are great, the oatmeal is to die for, I loved the chickpea cookies, banana bread was good, chik nuggets were a disaster...good to know about the brownies...I was going to make them this week actually! Try no oil and use the puree for the brownies (your brownies that is)...also, ground flax seed can be used for the eggs...I have done that in normal brownies and you can't tell. Let us know!

The Texas Links said...

Let me know how the brownies turn out. Sounds gross, though. Who's idea was it in the first place to substitute spinach in something as yummy as brownies. Someone demented I'm sure. Just kidding. You're a good mom, Ali. Kudo's for trying to make your kids more healthy.

Jeremy said...

Hi Allison & Kermit. We like the Mac & Cheese recipe w/ hidden cauliflower.

Found your blog through Greg & Suzie. Check us out at jensenhits.blogspot.com

Karyn said...

My sis-in-law makes zucchini brownies that are very good.

Pancakes + squash/pumpkin is good. Spinach brownies scare me a little.

Do your kids eat a lot of ketchup? I wonder if you can sneak pureed carrots or something into ketchup... is that even worth it since ketchup is made from tomatoes?! :)

Erin said...

"look away hey blow the man down" has been in my head for a couple of days. Thanks annaliese.

Missy said...

I have that book and I've tried the homemade pizza (with a layer of spinach under the tomato sauce), tacos (I think with squash or sweet potatoes) and mashed potatoes (with cauliflower). So far, Bryker has eaten all three without noticing (and so has Gary!).

kthom said...

I tried the brownies...you've gotta reeeeally want something brownyish to enjoy them, but that's just me. It's a mental thing, I want deep, gooey, fatty yummy brownies and when I took a bite I thought...hmm, not what I was hoping for. Just lather 'em up with some cream cheese frosting :) Pumpkin pancakes are to die for and I have a fantastic recipe !!xo

Shannon said...

The chicken nuggets are the biggest hit around here (with sweet potatoe or beets or 1/2 n1/2). The buttered noodles are good too. We also really liked the lemon and raspberry cupcakes and Applesuace muffins. We haven't tried the pancakes but maybe I'll try to make them work for Corbin. Good luck finding some that your little girls will eat.

Anonymous said...

Dang, sounds like a lot of effort. I am so not a good cook. I am so lucky my kids actually like fruits & veggies. I just open a can of green beans and they are happy. Sometimes the veggies ARE the main course. Youre so good of a mom to try all those recipes. I should try something new.

Lindsay said...

I grew up eating zucchini brownies and I don't remember thinking they were gross. I'll see if I can get the recipe from my mom and email it to you. She also made zucchini bread and all sorts of other weird stuff with zucchini. I'm trying to remember if we grew zucchini one year and had way too much of it but that doesn't ring a bell.