Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Finished!



I did it! I read a book! It took me an entire month but I did it! Sounds like a joke but I am serious! I haven't given myself the time to read a book just for fun in years!!!! (I'm not sure I should be bragging about this...) I'm really excited for this small accomplishment- can't you tell!

I just finished "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. Loved it! Non Fiction written like a novel! It is the true story of the World's Fair in Chicago 1893 and the architect and designers that made it happen (the white city reference). So interesting- really! I loved learning about some of Chicago's history! The part that really made it a page turner was the fact that across the street from the fair lived a serial killer...ahhh...(the devil). I thought it was pretty amazing!
A year or so ago Kermit and I enjoyed a 4 disc documentary on Chicago's history. It was fun to be reading along in this book and learn new things but also be able to say "I already knew that!" (I felt so smart!) The author really made the history come to life for me! I kept trying to imagine what it would have been like to have lived then and to have attended the fair. The whole serial killer thing was just crazy and I can't believe he got away with it for so long! Creepy but so intriguing! It really made me appreciate our modern communication, technology and police work!

So what's next? Maybe a certain vampire book. I've heard so much buzz and am curious.

6 comments:

Mad Queen said...

Yeah, you finished a book quickly!!! I am totally the same way, I take forever to read a book, not because I don't love to read, and not because I am a slow reader, but because I get too busy with life and kids. Your book sounds AWESOME and I am totally going to read it. I just read "Twilight" in 4 days... a RECORD for me. Yes, that is the vampire book with the buzz. It was incredible... a total page turner. I have ordered the next two books and I am dieing to have to wait for them to be shipped. A MUST read... you and I have the same taste in so much.

-Tracey

Erin said...

Of course you need to hit up a certain vampire book. Its fantastic

Karyn said...

Hooray Alison! Devil in the WHite City is a great book. Congrats on making it to the end in a month! It is taking me months to get through Harry Potter 5...of course Harry was tossed aside for a while as I devoured three vampire books.

Anonymous said...

Hey -- I read that too -- very interesting. Good for you, Ali -- seriously, I probably have 30 books in my room waiting to be read. I actually feel sorry for them. And I agree about the vampire books. I read the last one without a break. Not sure how my children survived, tho.

Anonymous said...

Hey -- I read that too -- very interesting. Good for you, Ali -- seriously, I probably have 30 books in my room waiting to be read. I actually feel sorry for them. And I agree about the vampire books. I read the last one without a break. Not sure how my children survived, tho.

Amy Christine said...

I really liked Devil in the White City too. Once when my mom was visitng (back when I still lived in Chicago) we decided to go on a driving tour of the book's landmarks. It was fun, although it turns out the area where the murderer's store/hotel was is really scary!! We made it out okay though. :) The apartment that he sent his wife off to is right around the corner from you... Creepy!!