Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cake Deco 101


A couple of weeks ago I finished a cake decorating class with my friend Karyn. (It was the Wilton beginning course one at JoAnn's.) This is actually something that I've wanted to learn to do for the last 10 years! I'm so glad to finally know what all those little metal tips in my dusty cake decorating kit are for and how to use them!
For class we had to make icing at home and bring it to class to use. Figuring out the right consistency was tricky for me. One week I'd make it too thick, the next too thin. I definitely have a new respect for the art of cake decorating. It's a lot of work! The last class we had to bring in a cake to decorate. I can't tell you how excited the family was to see this cake when I brought it home. If I would have known how big of a hit it would be I would have made a yummier cake cared more about my end result! Anyway, here it is. I'll have to keep practicing and make some fun cakes in the months and years ahead! YUM!
I have a thing for cute cake plates and stands. I hope to finally be able to put a pretty cake on a pretty stand. Can't wait!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Very impressive. You even made roses on top. What a fun thing to learn. I would love to know what I was doing when it came to decorating cakes. Your girls birthday cakes are gonna be the envy of the neighborhood.

The Christexans said...

Nice job! A delicious new hobby.

Erin said...

you go girl. WIth roses to top it off. Excellent job. Now the real question is...was it good? Thats fun that you and karyn got out together for a class. YOu make me want to get out and do something too.

Karyn said...

gorgeous! maybe someday we can take the level 2 class.

Anonymous said...

Fun! I need to go out and learn something new/fun too. That cake lookes so professional! Good job!

Mad Queen said...

Go girl! You did a great job... and you should feel accomplished to have completed a goal. Kudos to you.

Brintons said...

Wow! Your cake looks great! What a fun thing to know how to do!