Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Easter 2008


Easter weekend was a very memorable one this year. It is so fun to have little kids that get so excited for the holiday. Annaliese was especially excited. She was so proud to have some understanding of why we celebrate Easter. She says, "Jesus died and then he rose." She was also very excited for the Easter Bunny to come. This year (and every year from now on!) the bunny came on Friday night! We woke up Saturday and had our egg hunt. Later that day we went to a birthday party for one of the little girls from church and then to Ikea. It was a perfect day! Sunday was perfect too! We have 9am church. We got up and dressed and off we went to church, arriving early enough to get soft seats. In my book, that's on time. The service meetings were all very uplifting & the girls were darling in their little blue dresses.

A scary funny story. On that Saturday night before Easter, I was up late baking & decorating cookies for my primary class and for the young men. At 11:30pm I was finally done and decided to load up the car to make the next morning a little easier. After all, it is hard work getting three little ones out the door to church, any short cut I can take, I will. I line up all the bags and baskets that I want to take out and take a deep breath. Our garage is detached from our house. I have to walk about 20 feet through our backyard to get to the garage. Kermit is already in bed, but it's always a little scary for me to go outside at night so I rarely do it, even when Kermit is right there. I know that weirdo people wander. Over the years we've had things stolen from our backyard & garage. We've had our car rummaged through & all the change and small bills stolen out of our car. I also know that my neighbor two blocks up had a homeless person LIVING in a small secluded area of her backyard a few years back!!!! Oh yeah, and there's the little night squirrels with naked tails that pass through occasionally too. So...ANYWAY...I take a deep breath and head outside with all my Easter treats to take out to the van. I unlocked the van remotely and left my keys on the kitchen counter. Right when I got into the garage and was about to open the van door, ALL THE DOORS LOCK, right in front of my eyes! YIKES! I was so spooked I nearly jumped out of my skin!! I ran back to the house FAST! I locked the door behind me, ran upstairs, woke up Kermit and called the cops! I'm seriously thinking that somebody is in my van that doesn't belong there! I was shaking like crazy! The cops come in about 3 minutes. Pretty amazing. They find nothing. Whew. I am such a dork. I felt so stupid when we finally figured out what happened. If you ever get a Honda Odyssey...keep this in mind...there is a special "safety feature" that automatically re-locks the doors if they are unlocked remotely & no doors have opened within 30 seconds. Oh. At least there wasn't a homeless guy trying to keep warm in my awesome mini van. Silly me.

6 comments:

Erin said...

ali!! I would of totally freaked out too. I totally would of called the cops too. that is so funny. well Im glad you got a head start on that sunday morning!!!

Anonymous said...

O my gosh. That would have scared the crap out of me too. I am always so paranoid anyway. Looking back, it's funny though, right? ;0)

I really like the idea of doing the Easter Bunny on Saturday instead... We should try it next year. O and your girls are too cute with their Easter dresses.

Shannon said...

First of all, love the picutres of your Easter. Looks like the girls had lots of fun. Second, Holy Cow! What a story. Did you even end up loading the car? Hopefully Kerm did it for you...or maybe the policeman chipped in to help. Derek is gonna love this one!

Karyn said...

Does that safety feature give you peace of mind now? :)

Alison said...

Shannon- After all that, yes Kermit helped me load the car. He was also the one who figured out what had happened after the cops left. So I was able to saved some face!
And yes Karyn, I think it is a good feature and does give me peace of mind...just wish I hadn't learned about it the hard way.But the story makes me laugh at myself though!

Mad Queen said...

Fun Easter pics.... and scary story... I think I was there one summer when you had something stolen from your garage... we were all a bit freaked out... and then with that "strange" lady next door who wanted to give away all of her furniture and such... I would have freaked out too. But I would take it all to live in such a fun historical area... memories for sure.