Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Day at The Field Museum

On Saturday Kermit & I loaded up the kids and spent a few hours at The Field Museum. This museum is just fabulous! The building's architecture is so beautiful. Huge and grand! I just love it! The exhibits are always interesting & unique. In the center of the main hall there is of course the famous skeleton of Sue, the largest and most complete T-rex ever discovered. People come from all around the world to see her and have their picture taken in front of her. Someday maybe we will.

When we go to the Field Museum we bypass Sue (though we do wave), and bypass the map of all our choices of exhibits. We head straight for the "Nature Walk" to view all kinds of non-extinct animals. Seriously, this is almost better than a zoo! Our girls LOVE it! It is hall, after hall, after hall of animals. The artwork and surrounding habitat for these animals is so realistic! They have done an amazing job making these exhibits come to life, as if you were seeing live animals in the wild! We always have a great time visiting our animal friends at The Field.








We also like to visit the new Play Lab at the Field Museum. All the exhibits there are kid friendly and hands-on.




On our way home, we of course had to stop at Portillos. We all got hot dogs except Kermit. He got a hamburger. He LOVES their hamburgers! He thinks they are better than In-n-Out. I think not....that's why I always get a dog. Portillos is expanding and just opened a restaurant in California not too far from my parents. Our next visit we will have a taste test...Portillos hamburger VS. In-n-out! Then he will see that there is simply nothing more heavenly than an In-n-Out Burger! I will say this about Portillos, they have the BEST chocolate cake ever! That also qualifies as heavenly in my book!



9 comments:

Steph said...

Have you ever had the chocolate cake milkshake...mixing that delish cake with ice cream...really there is nothing more heavenly in life.

Erin said...

hands down portillos has amazing cake. What a fun little jont to the field museum. THose girls are just getting so big.

kthom said...

Ali-
So fun to read your comment! I also enjoy your blog and looking at your 3 little lovelies...what pretty girls. I love that they all look so different, but yet you know what family they belong to! Check in anytime :) -Kari

The Texas Links said...

It looks like the Field museum will be on our need to see list next time we come to Chicago. Do you pass-up Sue because she's scary? Just wondering--Maggies been a whimp lately when it comes to any up-close animal. Bugs---she comes completely unglued.
We will surely do the Portillos vs. In-and-Out taste test. We'll put in the chocolate cake for good measure. There's a place in Longview that I think rivals in-and-out, but of course, Byron thinks it doesn't even come close. Maybe it's just in the Californians blood or something.
Love you Ali--and give those girls a big hug from the Texas Links.

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

i love the field.. we got a season pass this year so i am sure we will be going all the time. yeah, it was sad we couldn't talk longer.. definitely let me know when the kiddie groups get together. i do work full time but sometimes can swing it. HAPPY SPRING!

Ruth Ann said...

Alison - I can't believe Amy found all of you --- she is quite the blog-stocker!! It has been so long since we have seen you ... your wedding, I think!!! Wow - 3 children (and twins??? - you are amazing) Isn't it great that friendships are eternal? (Ruth Ann Harrison)

yennu said...

Hey Allison,
Kir gave me your blog address a while back, but I didn't remember it correctly. I finally got the right one. Your girls are darling. I can't believe how big they are getting. It's fun to see what you guys are up to. Take care, Jen (Aaron's wife)

Mad Queen said...

I love those family outings... they make me so happy to get out together. I sing the praises of our Children's Museum in Indianapolis... thank heaven for museums like these where kids can actually TOUCH stuff and LEARN at the same time...all good. And hey, can I try Portillos next time I am in town... sounds yummy and kid friendly!... not sure how the burgers can beat IN and Out...hmmmm.

Unknown said...

Alison!
This blog is so fun! I love it. Please keep it up. I can't believe how cute they all are!
Love, Cheryl