Friday, March 21, 2008

The Snow Day Struggle

Isn't it supposed to be spring now? For some strange reason I'm not totally bummed out about the snow today. I think it's maybe because I'm looking forward to a fun weekend with my family. I'm having a half full kind of day. Now, if this goes on for weeks where it is just too cold to get the kids out at all...then...I may be a little more than bummed.
.
So for our snow day today, Annaliese and I made cookie dough. (Maybe tomorrow we'll bake them?) Annaliese requested "the kind you can make into shapes." I thought that would be perfect, then we can share some with the kids at church for Easter, so we made a double batch of sugar cookies.
.
When the dough was all mixed and ready to be chilled, I found myself wrestling with this thick double batch of dough. I couldn't get the Kitchen Aid to release the dough mixing attachment thingy.
Annaliese asked, "Mom, are you struggling?"
"Yes," I say.
That is the second time this week I've heard her use the word struggling. A new word in her vocabulary. I start thinking that she probably learned it from her nightly story time with her dad and all those new library books. Maybe she learned it in preschool from her great teacher. I knew I hadn't taught it to her.
.
I ask, "Annaliese, where did you learn the word struggling?"
She replies, "The lady on TV."
Oh.

4 comments:

Erin said...

ali are you STRUGGLING with the idea that your child is learning things on TV?

Shannon said...

That girl and her vocabulary...she is amazing. All kids watch TV at least she's picking up some great words.

Alison said...

Yes Erin, I am struggling. She is such a TV head too! When she is watching TV it is impossible to get her attention unless you stand in front of it or turn it off! Silly girl! At least she's learning good things, right?

Mad Queen said...

What a gem! I hate to admit it, but I kind of like those yucky weather days too... we had spring break this week and some of the days were wet and rainy, so we stayed indoors, watched Anne of Green Gables, played board games, and baked cookies... those are absolutely perfect days!

Oh, and I TOTALLY can sympathize with the kitchen aid not handling too much dough... this is a problem for me too... i have to do it in small batches which frustrates me. Oh well. I like my Mom's Bosch better... that thing is a serious piece of machinery.