Monday, November 12, 2007

My Martha Moment

So a few years ago as we pulled into our garage early one evening we found that our next door neighbor had placed a perfectly good couch in the alley by her garbage...a very nice couch I might add. It looked like rain so we decided that we needed to save this couch from the rain and the dump so we pulled it inside....

I'll admit it was pretty darn fun to snag such a great find for free. I also have to admit that I have been somewhat annoyed with this couch for the last TWO YEARS. Here is why.

This couch was meant to be slip covered but the original slip cover was thrown away separately, & we weren't able to rescue it from the dump...so the couch as we found it was covered in just a thinner plain white muslin with unfinished edges, etc. I researched everywhere to try to order a new slipcover from Mitchell Gold for that specific couch...NO LUCK! So...we gave up and just threw a blanket over it and stuck it in our front room. Yuck. It just looked so cheesy to me but I never had any time to do anything about it. Two years of staring at this free couch with a blanket slipcover has been driving me crazy....so FINALLY....I tackled the impossible....


As you can see I'm not done yet....but hope to be by the end of the week. Not bad for a rookie! I think the cushions might be harder...I shouldn't gloat yet.






Kermit admiring my handywork.

8 comments:

The Texas Links said...

No way!!! That is definately quite a Marth moment. Way to tackle it head on!! You are a brave girl! Looks great though. Fun for you--you'll have a brand new couch--and you can say you made it yourself!! How cool!!

Erin said...

Ali you are amazing!!! It looks so good. I wouldnt of guessed you did it! iswear. It looks great. Is it all the blanket or did you have to go buy more blanket?

Erin said...

WOW...looks great...watch out Martha
love, mom

Shannon said...

Wow the couch looks great! You are going to love that room so much more now that the couch won't be bugging you...and to think you did it all by yourself. I have always been impressed with your talent.

terica said...

ALison, you are constantly amazing me! Looks great. What a nice neighbor:)!

carrie said...

wow! I'm super impressed! Nice work.

Steph said...

VERY impressive woman! Hope it is done to see it on Tuesday night! You should call Maralyn for those cushions, she has some talent in that department!

pam said...

Wow, I never knew you could do such handy things. I have some kitchen chairs that need attention...interested?