Monday, November 12, 2007

Look what a year can do...

Last Thanksgiving in St. George, UT

The Twins are getting ready to turn two soon. I've been thinking about their lives and the adventures of the past year a lot. I'm overwhelmed with so many memories. WOW it is amazing all the changes that happen in such a short period of time. Just for fun I put together a list of things to help me remember what it was like to have 3 under 3 years old. Here are 10 ways of how life has changed from a year ago for us (or just me) at home....



  • Diapers - Last year I was changing 3 babies diapers, now I only change 2 (One less does make a difference!)
  • Shopping - Last year I couldn't go anywhere by myself with all the babies. I started off this last spring/summer by going to Costco alone....2 babies sitting in the seats up front and Annaliese in the back of the cart....now I'm recently confident doing Target alone as long as we are in and out fast...one baby up front, one in the cart and Annaliese can walk. Maybe if I'm feeling bold we'll try the grocery store soon!
  • Car loading - Last year loading and unloading the minivan was a major undertaking, 3 separate trips to the car....while it still takes much effort, it helps soooo much that they can stand and walk alone. They are even starting to be able to climb up into their seats alone! Hooray! To unload (at home) I can just unbuckle, 1,2,3 and get out of the van, and unload 1,2,3. They play in the back yard while I unload the van of our loot. Very convenient!
  • Nights - Last year we were up 5 times a night....now we are just up 2 times per night on average. Not kidding. Argh! This has been the biggest challenge!
  • Meals - Last year I had the babies in high chairs in one part of the kitchen and Annaliese sitting up to the island for meals ...now (as of the last 2 weeks) the twins sit up to the island together with big sister making meal time soooo much easier! WOW I had no idea this would be so great! AND, now they all eat the same food too- chicken nuggets, hot dogs, yogurt, waffles, bananas, cheese, pretzels. Who needs variety. Wow, I almost forgot...spoon feeding two babies simultaneously is a tricky task to conquer! It can be messy too, X 2!
  • Church - Last year we had to bring a stroller to church because I was never really good at holding two babies (or 3) at once - especially when Kermit was busy teaching. This year....all three walk up the stairs themselves, everyone holding on to the rail! We also go to the wonderful wonderful wonderful NURSERY! We are still very noisy in Sacrament meeting...I am having the hardest time teaching them to WHISPER at church!
  • Stairs - Last year getting babies up and down the stairs was quite the chore. Gates closed and secured both at the top and bottom of the stairs 24/7. I'd Carry one baby up at a time (our stairs are steep and wooden and slick!) Now all three move up and down on their own, holding on to the rail. (We still keep the gates up just to contain them as needed.) They seem to understand that we do not play on the stairs.
  • Play - This year they play together...all three of them! It is so cute! They help each other too!
  • My hair - Last year I had the "wash and go hair doo" every single day! (Wet, kind of curly, kind of straight... I think of 80's metal band hair).... but I was just grateful to get a shower for the day! This year....I plan to actually do my hair - as in blow dry, style and straighten my hair a couple times each week! I think they might let me! I'm so glad for this because I have a pet peeve of wet hair in public. I will be no longer drive myself crazy with my own wet hair pet peeve.
  • Outings - Last year going to the park was fairly easy (depending on how long the twins could last sitting in the swings or in the stroller). We would always go to "the little park" because it is close, small, enclosed and I could see Annaliese at all times- she couldn't get away from me while I entertained the babies. This year at the park I have 3 busy bodies to keep track of most often running in all different directions. This isn't bad at all when we hit the little park but a huge challenge when we go to the bigger parks (which they love by the way....slides are the best). It can be done - but is challenging! (I'm going to have to dress them all in neon to keep track of everyone if that's what it takes!)
  • Bath time - Last year bathing was all consuming and sucked out any remaining energy I had left at the end of the day if there was any left at all. I bathed them each one at a time. I used a baby tub placed the kitchen sink....what a production! This year...all three hop in to the bubble bath together upstairs....they play, I wash their hair, they play some more. I can take one girl out at a time, get her in PJ's, get the next out, get her in PJ's and then Annaliese gets out and into PJ's - DONE! Easy as that!
  • Air travel - TBD....Last year was just plain old nutty! It probably still will be but maybe less so. We'll find out in December when we head to CA. (Oh yeah, 2 year olds aren't free anymore! Ouch...five tickets!)

There are many more I'm sure that I will think of later and will have to add them as I think of them. It makes me laugh out loud as I think of the last year and some of the crazy moments we've had with these sweet girls. And it makes me laugh again when I think of the "terrible two's" ahead! I do just love these darling little girls and I'm really really excited to celebrate their entry into the world this week. They make me smile every day and I feel so blessed to be their mother. What a year it has been!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Whew, that made be tired just reading it. Thank goodness for small blessing (the girls and the way they grow). It sounds like your life is getting a bit more manageable. Wow, trips to Costco alone...bravo.

Shannon said...

Hey how are the couch cushions coming along?

Erin said...

It is amazing what a year can do. They look tiny in that picture with the fam. Time sure does go by fast. Im so glad life is getting easier for you. I too am excited to hear of the flight ahead.

Alison said...

The couch....sigh...after I finish painting the family room I will start over on the cushions. Blugh...I messed up and have some unpicking to do!

Erin said...

ALi i am the biggest jerk sister. Im so sorry! i 100% thought the twins birthday was on Monday...well monday is the 19th. Therefore today is the girls birthday. SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADELINE AND AVRIE!!! I was laying in bed and thinking about my week and sat up in a panic becuase Im the worst aunt. ITs 11:21 and I had to say happy birthday officially on the day. Im so sorry. I hope you guys had a great day.

The Texas Links said...

What an accomplishment to just be sane....You are a lucky mom!! And, they are lucky little girls! Love ya!

Jen said...

Hey there -- I came across your blog via a search for blogs about the "3 under 3" experience! I have a girl born 6/02, twin boys born 8/04 and another girl born 11/06. How well I remember the situations you mentioned in your "last year vs this year" post! My older three fight now, sure, but it is a thousand times easier than it was then they were babies.

Your family is lovely! Have a merry Christmas!