Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ding Dong the Rat is Dead

Our secret is out. Kermit and I agreed we wouldn't tell anyone but I couldn't keep my mouth shut so half the world knows about this, you may as well know too. Just don't tell my kids. They don't know.

A week ago Sunday I left the sliding doors open in our minivan after we got home from church. On Sunday the kids helped themselves out of the car, my arms are full of bags, coats, purse, etc. I forgot to go back out to the garage and close the doors behind the kids. It's not uncommon for this kind of thing happen in our family. Our car is parked in our garage so it's not a big deal. In the evening when I'm locking up for the night I close the doors if they happen to be open, end of story. Not a problem.

Monday I am driving around town and I notice a big blob of poo on my dashboard. Hmm. Gross. Weird. I look over to the passenger seat. Big blob of poo on the arm rest. Disgusting. It becomes obvious we've had a visitor in our car. I will make an effort to ALWAYS make sure I close the van doors. In the eight years we've lived in our home I have never seen a rat in our garage, but clearly we had a passer though on Sunday night. I will take the car in to get deep cleaned asap. I do just that.

Tuesday, I go grocery shopping and leave Halloween candy and pasta in back of my nice clean car.

Wednesday I go to get candy out of the back only to discover...dun, dun, dun...pasta all over the place and candy packaging all chewed up. EEWE! We have a problem!

We spent all week setting traps and glue boards all over the car. Every morning we'd find that the traps were sprung but no catch. Finally we had evidence that the beast was at least injurred...the red stuff on the carpet confirmed it. (GeeeROss!) (BTW...when ever I say "WE" I mean Kermit. That is just to gross. It was even too gross for him but he had no choice.)

Finally on Saturday morning we find that none of traps were sprung and no rat on any of the glueboards. Terminex comes over and helps us investigate further. We take out all the seats, clean out the nasty rat hole glove box, etc. Nothing. We decide that the rat somehow got out. Good ridance. I sanitize the bajebahs out of the car.

Tuesday morning...There's no denying it, something is dead in here! PEE-U! I drive it with the windows down and take it straight to the dealer. They tear open the dashboard and after 2 hours of searching....they find the beast. SICK! SICK! SICK! I know you all just lost your appetite a long time ago but SICK! Apparently it was a huge sonovagun too! They found him in the upper passenger side dash, whatever that means. I feel sorry for whoever had to get him out!

Wednesday afternoon...I pick up my car from the dealership...smells fresh and clean, just a little musty from the carpets being shampooed. The dashboard and armrests gleaming. The steeringwheel so shiny it is slippery. At last a sparkleing clean and rodent free vehicle.

After a week and a half I can drive without worrying about being attacked by a by a killer rat. I can drive without the windows open but truthfully I'm still grossed out. It's just not the same. I'm getting more hand sanitizer to keep in there for extra measure. I think I may even go out and buy more Lysol and go nuts again. I totally understand if nobody ever wants to ride in my car ever again. Frankly, neither do I but I have no choice. I'm worried the little rat is going to start haunting my car since he can't terrorize us in the flesh anymore. But for now...DING DONG the rat is DEAD (and gone from my car)!

4 comments:

The Christexans said...

I've been wondering how this "ratscapade" turned out. It seems to have gotten much worse before it got better. This is a story to last generations. Well. . . if you ever tell your children that is. ha ha.

Elena said...

Just wanted to let you know that I read this 5 days ago and got the major heebie jeebies. Then I just told Joe about it today and got them again! So sorry and glad it is over for you!

Erin said...

SOOOOO gross. I will still get in your car though. I may take a shower the minute i get to your house but i will still get in your car if that means im in Chicago visiting.

Sticking to the floor said...

I am laughing out loud. I can't believe this happened. One of those stories that is too good to be true, but is true!! Miss you King Clan!