Saturday, August 16, 2008

Welcome to the Family



Kermit found this little baby for a SONG on ebay. It's a 1901 Steinway Upright "Grand". He snatched it up and had it delivered from Tennessee. We weren't sure what kind of condition it would be in until it arrived. Let's just say we were pleasantly suprised and are 100% convinced that we got an amazing deal! We really feel like this old piano just belongs in the family.

Kermit has serioiusly been obsessing with it's restoration. He started with the exterior finish. It looks great especially considering its over 100 years old! He then read from cover to cover PIANO SERVICING, TUNING, AND REBUILDING by Arthur A. Reblitz. Before long he had the entire piano disassembled for a thorough cleaning and repair job. 100+ years of dust takes a bit of elbow grease to remove. I helped when I could and have a new appreciation for piano construction. It was really fascinating to see how everything fit back together. Last week we had it professionally tuned. Good report from the tuner. He thinks we got a great deal too.

Kermit will continue to obsess until it plays like new working to rebuild all the action parts. Both of us are obsessed trying to remember how to play the few songs we once knew. I hope that we can have Annaliese started up in lessons in the next couple of years. I'm thinking I'd like to take lessons along with her. Why not. =)

7 comments:

kir said...

Fantastic piano, Ali!! How fun- some day when I get to the Windy City, I will play "Christmas Bells" or "Riding on a Mule" for you, I have quite a musical repetoire...
xo-Kir

The Texas Links said...

WOW!! How fantastic!! What a find!! I think it's great you cleaned it up and restored it yourself. How rewarding. Can't wait to see this new addition to the King home.

Erin said...

My personal favorite was hearing the elbow grease in the back ground while on the phone with you. It looks great. I dig it. I hope The First Noel is up to par for the holiday season.

Karyn said...

What a beauty! Looks like a fun project to keep Kermit out of trouble for a while. :)

Rose said...

Hey Guys

It's your cuz...Rose
cute blog! send me your email address so i can send you an invite to our blog
roseoakeson@gmail.com

Shannon said...

What a great piano. Kerm is amazing. He has quite an eye for that kind of stuff. I can't believe that you took the whole thing apart and it actually fit back together again.

Mad Queen said...

Wow, Kermit never ceases to amaze me with the project he takes on... piano restoration... holy cow. I thought restoring that old clunker bike for you was good... wow. You have a winner for a hubby!