Saturday, July 19, 2008

(deep) Birthday Thoughts

I remember when I was 20 years old sitting at church in a BYU singles ward. The girl speaking had just had her 25th birthday. She was going on and on about how blessed she felt to be 25 and how wonderful it was. She was saying how she just couldn't believe she was actually a quarter of a century old. The whole time she spoke I was seriously thinking to myself..."I would NEVER do that! 25 is SOOOO old. Why would anyone get up in front of a group of people and proudly announce that they were 25? CRAZY! That's just suicide! She's never gonna get married!"

Every time I think back on that moment I totally find myself just cracking up at myself! Silly me. =) Here I am at 36 proudly displaying my age for all to see. I wonder if there are any 25 year olds out there wondering why on earth I would ever admit to being 36. Maybe so.

I was talking to Kermit earlier this month about aging in general. It had been on my mind a lot knowing my birthday was coming. Also because this past year I've found myself dieting for the first time ever, buying expensive wonder face creams and noticing that the reflection in the mirror doesn't exactly match the image I think I should see. Jokingly, I told Kermit that if this is what aging was about that I didn't think I was up for it. Kermit had a completely different view to share.
He said that when he thinks of aging he envisions an elderly couple that has shared a wonderful life together. Though they are old everybody of all ages just loves them. They have had so many interesting life experiences together. They've had trials in life and grown from them. They've learned through the years who they are as individuals. They know how to be kind and have the time in life to share the knowledge they've gained through experience. A lovely picture. I was impressed with his views, especially because he is over 40 *gasp*! =)

So the last two weeks I've been rethinking things. Maybe he and I could grow to be that couple someday. I'll diet here and there and buy expensive face creams but the bottom line is time marches on regardless. All I can really do is try to enjoy the ride. Every year from here on out I will think of as another year of experiences. Hopefully I'll grow wiser in the process. I'm looking forward to the experiences ahead this year!





12 comments:

carrie said...

Well darn I didn't say this at church. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And you look fantastic! Especially in your green sweater.

Erin said...

Youre the hottest 36 year old I know. Happy Birthday sister!!!!! Im glad you had such a fun little birthday partay with your chillins. Your bday dinner sounded delish!!! I can't wait to try that place too.

kir said...

Happy Birthday, Cousin Ali!! I have been thinking of you and I have to say that 36 is not a bad age to be at all!! I remember turning 20 when I was going to school in Logan and Gramma Bev called and said, "if the next 20 years go as fast as the last 20 years, you'll be 40 before you know it!" Not that I didn't appreciate her deep and sweet birthday comments, but I was just turning 20, not 40, but she was absolutely right- time flies!!
Hope your day was absolutley wonderful!! Love the pics-what a fun summer!!
-xoxo-Kir

The Christexans said...

You make 36 look great! I can't wait to join you. Here's to 36. Oh! And here's to being old, wise and kind.

Jacqueline said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a great day surrounded by your little chicks! I don't know sussy personally but oh how I wish I did!!! Her photos are just beautiful...

Steph said...

Well chicka, I found out it was your b-day after the ward picnic from facebook!!! :) You are a a pretty hip 36 year old for having facebook to start! Second...I am that 25 year old that thinks...I can't believe I am a quarter of a century old...yet, I honestly think that woman only get more beautiful with age...age is beauty, wisdom, experience, laughter, love, gentleness, and maturity. I think you are an amazingly beautiful woman from the inside out and honestly girl you don't look a day older than 29! As that 25 year old girl, I don't think I can't believe she is 36...I think, what can I do with my life to become as great of a person as YOU have become!

kthom said...

Happy Birthday cute cousin Ali! You look great in that green cardigan I must say! I love birthdays...every single one of them. I've had 32 and each one gets better :) Enjoy that cute family of yours! xo-Kari

The Texas Links said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Texas Links said...

Ahh aging is not what we thought. My hair turns more grey by the day. Look out Ali, it's hereditary....we get it from our kids!
Looking forward to seeing you all next week!
Love you,
Byron

kermito said...

My sweetheart, I love you at 36 and always.

Mad Queen said...

Love this post! Okay, and totally lame... I was traveling on your birthday, but I did think of you and wish I was there to see you in Chicago. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY from one "old" friend to another. I can totally relate to everything you said... 35 I started noticing some changes and my mom said "it is only going to get worse, so enjoy the moment". Sad, but true. And why is it that men age SO much better? I read somewhere that Christie Brinkley said she thought it was because they shave their face regularly, so she uses extra scrubby face cleaners, so I started doing that... maybe just to feel like I am doing something. You know life is good when your only concern is aging.

I love Kermit's bit of wisdom and I say KUDOS. Life is good. Happy Birthday sweet friend. I missed seeing you this summer.

Costa Rica Baby! said...

Your sweetheart is good! What a great {line} comment. :)
Happy birthday! I need to start pulling out the creams myself, but I know I won't until it's really too late.