Thursday, September 9, 2010

Farewell Logan Square Ward, *sniff*


After months of hearing that it would happen, it is finally official. Logan Square Ward has been split. Our family will now be part of the newly formed Lake Shore I Ward. We have been members of Logan Square for over 10 years and will miss it. It has been home to us.

We have met and loved so many families from all over the world in our Logan Square Ward. We have truly loved the experience. Some of my best friends I have made in this ward. We will especially miss the "old timers." Those are the families that are settled here in Chicago, those few families that are constants, that we've seen year after year. It's weird to feel like we are saying good-bye to these dear friends. Nobody has moved...we just won't see them every week like we have for years.

I know why the split needs to happen. The ward is enormous with over 800 members. Only half are active, but of that half, about a quarter have very unique and serious needs. Logan Square is also transient. Every 6 months, about 25 new couples move away and 25 new couples move in. It is constantly changing and difficult for one bishopric to keep track of so many new faces and take care of so many special needs.

With mixed emotions I turned in all my RS keys to Bishop Malli tonight. I also gave him a bunch of the manuals and other materials that I will no longer be using. Last Sunday they released everyone from their callings but asked us to keep doing them until the transition is complete? I am a bit sad. I have loved serving in Relief Society for the last year and a half. I am sad that I won't be able to have that calling that pushed me to grow daily. I had wonderful counselors who I will miss working with. It was great to be able to serve along side such awesome women. I do just love the sisters of the Logan Square RS! All of them! I also feel a little sad because I feel like I was just starting to get the hang of things. For me there was a high learning curve. Maybe I'll have the opportunity in my new ward to serve in RS again, maybe not, I don't know. I know that the callings we receive are inspired. I know that God knows what He is doing so I will trust in that either way. I also know that good things are in store either way.


So farewell my to my Logan Square Ward. We love you always!


3 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Oh, I no this shouldn't but the split makes me sad!!! We miss you and the Logan Square ward!!

Missy said...

Why does change have to be soooooo hard?! We also miss the Logan Square ward. And Chicago. Every day!! By the way, you were GREAT in the Relief Society. I hope you are put back in in the new ward. :)

Mad Queen said...

Were you RS Pres? If so, WOW and kudos to you for taking on such a big job. Sounds like you really loved it even though it was a stretch for you... its nice to do a little growing :)