Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All aboard the Potty Train...

The last few weeks we've been working on PT. Jumbo marshmallows are the bribe of choice.

I knew that they were ready when one night after I lectured them for 10 minutes not to make pee pees (or anything else) in the bathtub....they each got out of the bathtub to take care of business. I could not believe it! They understood! They got it! I was almost jumping up and down! I know that they are now three years and ought to get it...but seriously they had NO desire what so ever to ever use the potty before. They like diapers. I also really had no desire to tackle training. I would rather change a diaper than an clean up an accident. So the real thing that pushed me to do this...Sunbeams. They are now Sunbeams. I'm pretty sure the other classmates all are potty trained...so a little bit of pressure to get it done!

Addie has done amazingly well! She takes care of business on her own! "I have to go to du toelet..." and off she runs. She also likes to tell me, "Go away mommy, I need privatcy." She's earned a whole bag of marshmallows on her own. Bravo Addie!

Avrie loves marshmallows...she gets a couple a day. She doesn't like a big fuss though. She tells me not to say "Good Job." She wants me to say nothing. So I try not to...but it's hard not to! She'll get it too I know. Maybe after Addie masters it she'll feel more motivated?

The funny thing is...they both still want to wear diapers like it is their security blanket or something. I have fancy princess pull ups and cozy cotton underwear but they choose to wear good old Mickey Mouse Huggies and rip them off when its time to go. I'm thinking once the diapers are gone...they will be gone. I know, cruel.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hey there! I feel your pain with the whole potty problem. Drew and his Joy School friend used to check in with each other each school day, "are you wearing big boy pants?". . . "No, are you?" . . . "No" . . ."Good." It was a big contest. I thought I might be sending him to college with diapers. I'm pleased to report he figured it out, and is getting married in "big boy pants"!!

Shannon said...

Way to go little girlies. The potty traing book I used said that she thinks 21 months is the perfect time to potty train. And your mom said all you guys were trained my 2yrs. So it's been on my mind for Cooper. I don't know if I'll really try next month, but I'm glad that your girls are catching on. I can't believe they are sunbeams. My how time flys.

Erin said...

Yeah the potty train is moving along. I love this shot of them doing there thing waiting to go potty. Too cute. IM so excited to see you next week and see for myself the girls running to the potty.

Heidi said...

That picture is too funny. I've been working with Claire. She does it, but it's not her idea. She just can't catch it in time if I'm not paying attention. The first few days I kept wondering if there wasn't some way to hire someone to do this for me. Hopefully soon she'll make it to your girls' level.

Mad Queen said...

Good luck on the PT! To date, that is my WORST part of parenting... I hate it. Jonas started after he turned 3 as well... I think starting later is better. I hate all of the mess.. the accidents that go with it. I love that your kids go for the marshmellow bribe... my kids love marshmellows too!

Jeana said...

such a cute little picture. Potty training is coming along. Good job!