Monday, December 15, 2008

Zoo Lights & "Is he REAL?"


Back on the 5th we went to see Zoo Lights at LP Zoo. It was freezing cold but oh so worth it. There were no crowds and we got great parking thanks to the cold weather. The girls were bundled up from head to toe and didn't even mind the cold. They really had a great time. They were just so HAPPY. I love it when we have an outing that that goes so well and everybody is just plain happy. The girls danced together to the music playing over the loud speakers and just loved making a fuss over all the decorations. They also got to decorate gingerbread men cookies which was fun for them. We warmed up in the lion house with some hot cocoa...which 2 of the 3 spilled down the front of their coats. We saw Santa there. Annaliese told him she wants a jack in the box for Christmas. Afterwards she asked us if he was the real Santa. We told her he was a helper.

The next night Annaliese asked if Santa was real. I told her we would find out on Christmas if he left any presents. I kind of feel bad about that. At what age do you sit down and have "the talk"? Not to a four year old, right? I believed until I was 10 at least, but I never asked point blank. What to do, what to do. All I think to do is keep on focusing on what is real about Christmas- the the birth of our Savior. That I can do and that is what I love most about Christmas anyway.

7 comments:

kir said...

What a fun night and hey, no outing would be complete without spilled something--that's abouyt how it is with our crew. As for your deep questions, I don't have any great answers, but we all love to believe and are so glad Santa has lots of helpers!!

The Texas Links said...

Sounds like a fun time--it's great when the weather stinks but you brave it anyway knowing that it will pay off.
Now, the santa question. We have never told anyone of our kids. Greyson figured it out sooner of later-but we told him he had to pretend to believe for the other kids. It's a terrible feeling when your child comes home from school when their 5 and tells you that Susie so-and-so told her that Santa isn't real. How dare her. I want my kids to believe as long as possible. It's the magic in their eyes when they 'see Rudolph' or know that Santa kissed them on the cheek. I think your children can believe in Santa but still know and 'get' what Christmas is really about.

Shannon said...

When I was teaching 4th grade I would give the kids a time out, wait that's mom talk, I would give a check mark or pull a stick or what ever I was doing at the time...If they said that santa wasn't real. I love it that kids believe. It's just magical.

Erin said...

Is he REAL??? already? she asked that already? Wow! SHe is too young for that. So i guess she'll find out on christmas huh? What a fun night with the family. Before I read the post i was looking at the picture wondering if Avries jacket was wet, now I know...yes it was.

Jeana said...

Cute picture. I believed until I was about ten too. You gave a good answer though.. I wouldn't have known what to say.

Anonymous said...

We told Katie that the kids who don't believe in Santa don't get presents from him. When she became the only one in her class who still believed in Santa, she REALLY asked us. Then when she found out, she was sad... This was the first Christmas knowing about Santa and she said it was "hard w/o Santa". She is now ten, so I think it's okay she knows. It's actually helpful now that I don't have to hide everything and she could help me with the other kids' presents. I have a friend w/ small kids who wants to tell her kids from the get go that Santa isn't real. When Katie heard about that, she said, "OMGOSH!!! How can a parent do that to thier own kid? " K, sorry such a looong comment... Hope you had a Merry Christmas!!!

The Christexans said...

I can't believe she asked if Santa is real! It's time to start watching "The Santa Clause." They are my favorites (1,2 and 3). I got all three this year. I just might watch them all year long.